In 2007, the University of Nebraska – Lincoln (UNL) partnered with Xi’an Jiaotong University to form the Confucius Institute with the support of the International Chinese Language Council (Hanban). Although ours is one of over 500 Confucius Institutes worldwide, we are the 20th institute established in the US. With nearly 17,000 students since its founding, we now rank globally among the most successful Confucius Institutes through the dedicated work of our teachers and the support of UNL, resulting in our institute being awarded the Confucius Institute of the Year in 2012 and a Model Confucius Institute in 2015.
- to promote the learning and teaching of the Chinese language;
- to inspire students to learn more about China;
- to support and provide resources for educators and school systems wanting to incorporate Chinese language and knowledge in their curriculums;
- to educate the public about Chinese culture and society;
- to prepare Nebraskan businesses and officials to work with Chinese counterparts.