The application deadline for the Chinese Bridge Summer Camp for students ages 14-18 is fast approaching!
The Chinese Bridge Summer Camp application for students ages 14-18 is now available! The application deadline has been postponed to Friday, March 8. Download the application for students here or for chaperones here. For questions, email Huang Pingan at firstname.lastname@example.org or Skylar Falter at email@example.com. Download this flyer for details about the summer camp.
Introduction to "Chinese Bridge Summer Camp for American High School Students
The "Chinese Bridge Summer Camp for American High School Students" is sponsored by Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters in cooperation with various Confucius Institutes in the U.S. for American high school students to experience Chinese language and culture on the summer holidays.
Since being launched in 2007, a total of 356 American high school students have been invited to participate in the summer camp in China, which plays a positive role in promoting the understanding of high school students of Chinese language and culture, improving their Chinese level and enhancing the friendship between the youth of China and the U.S.
1. Mission Statement
The "Chinese Bridge Summer Camp for American High School Students" aims to promote exchange between the youth of China and the United States and enhance the understanding of American high school students of Chinese language and culture, thus to stimulate their interest in Chinese learning.
2. Camp Activities
During the program, students will be studying Chinese language and culture (paper-cutting, calligraphy, brush painting, tea ceremony, martial arts, etc.), participating in various sports and cultural activities (friendly basketball matches, international student get-togethers, host family experiences, etc.); and visiting points of interest of China's long history and sites of natural beauty.
a. Qualifications to Apply
Students currently enrolled in credited public/private high schools who meet the following qualities:
(1) U.S. Citizenship;
(2) Without any Chinese learning background or having studied Chinese for less than 3 years (including all Chinese beginners and students in Chinese I, II, and III);
(3) Student of grades 9 to 12 aging from 14 to 18 years old;
(4) Excellent academic record, and be interested in Chinese language and culture;
(5) Physically capable of international travel.
Group teachers are required to meet the following qualities:
(1) K‐12 teaching experiences, preference will be given to Chinese language teachers;
(2) A wealth of student management experience;
(3) Experiences in living or staying in China (not traveling) with an understanding of Chinese current conditions;
(4) Love teaching; being responsible and compatible;
(5) Outstanding communication skills and adaptive capacity;
(6) Physical capability of international travel.
b. Application and Selection Procedure
Qualified applicants need to submit their application form, together with personal application letter and a recommendation letter from schools or teachers to respective Confucius Institutes. Group teachers should also submit their resumes to respective Confucius Institutes. Individual Confucius Institute will conduct primary selections in accordance with the application materials, identify qualified candidates, and summarize information into a list which will be submitted to Hanban for the final decision. Hanban will inform each Confucius Institute with the final selection results.
4. Program Costs
Students and teachers are responsible for the costs of round-trip air tickets and international travel insurance. Hanban will assume all the costs for accommodations, local transportation, and all group activities and sightseeing for students and group teachers during their stay in China.
5. Students Comments
(1) China is one of the most beautiful countries I have been to. Its natural beauty and friendly people changed my perception of China. Now, greatest wish is to improve my Chinese level and go back to see my lovely friends in China.
--by Lauren Stotts from Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics
(2) The summer camp is fantastic! I love all the activities and all the participants. I hope this program will never end. Thank you!
--by Xiu Xiu Cooney from Kalani High School